Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Is it worth selling an old expensive diamond ring in order to start a business?

I am 26 years old and a junior in college studying history and theatre (ye, i know, i dont have a life). I dont have a job and am usually broke. My mom is pestering me to find a nice girl to settle down with. i am afraid of marriage and committment (that it wont work out like everything else in my life doesnt). Anyway she mentioned she put away in the safe a very expensive diamond ring worth at least 50,000 dollars. she used to say she's saving it for my future bride but id rather sell it and invest the money so i can have a business, the other things will fall into place afterwards.





so what sayest thou.|||If the diamond has sentimental value to your mother, then it isn't worth it. I would try to get a loan first. Do you even have any idea what kind of a business you plan to start? Come up with a business plan and look for investors or get a loan. It would likely break your mother's heart if she knew you wanted to sell the diamond. Not to mention, at this point, it's not really yours to sell.





After reading your added comments...I would say DON'T SELL IT!! If it is a good plan, you can find other funding. I started my own business without any outside financing at all, and I was beyond broke! Literally living with the threat of foreclosure and my car being reposessed at any given moment. Hard work, drive, and ambition are free...and you don't have to give up any family heirlooms in the process. I have a lot of antique furniture from my grandparents that is in prime condition. I had offers from people to buy different pieces and I would have definitely made some money on it. Now that my business is successful, I look back and thank god I did not go that route. As you get older, you will appreciate having something handed down from your family and will realize what a stupid mistake it would have been to hand it over for cash. You can not place a value on an heirloom. Seek financing elsewhere. There are 'angel investment' groups out there. Write up your business plan and shop around your idea. Where there's a will there's a way. Forget about selling the ring. You will regret it when you get older.|||Dude, the diamond market is horrible. It is impossible to get money out of an old diamond ring- no matter how valuable. It will keep its worth in your family, never sell it. EVER!|||How badly do you want to start your business? If its an heirloom I wouldn't sell it. If it's just a diamond ring... go for it. I've started a business, but having money is only half the battle. You can lose that money faster than you ever thought possible. Try going the bootstrapping route first, and educate yourself on running a business before you think about pawing the ring,.|||I would first look at the sentimental value of the ring. Chances are, It has been passed down from generations and means a lot if you hold onto it and follow her wishes. I would relay talk to your mom and see how she feels cause she gave it to you..|||A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Don't sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment