Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Assuming you can afford ANYTHING, what size diamond for a size 8 Tiffany-cut engagement ring is best?

I mean, which is most attractive without being 'gaudy'? Something that is not modest, but not ridiculous? Also is 14 carrot white diamond good, or just okay?|||Whatever size you can afford and she likes. Ask her what she prefers, sometimes she will have a preference. Anything over .80 carats makes my hands look even tinier than they are, but I wear a ring size 5.25, so that's small to begin with. I've never heard of 14 carrat white diamond, sorry.





Good luck!|||Don't get gold, get platinum. And don't go for a huge ring, the diamonds tend to be of lesser quality often with bad shine and visible inclusions. Plus you don't want 2 look like those women with big bling and fake designer bags. Over 1.5 is just tacky (plus likely bad diamond).

Report Abuse


|||My fiance got me a 1 carat, 3 stone diamond engagement ring and i absolutely LOVE it. it's the ring of my dreams.


if your lady wants a more traditional solitaire, though, i think anywhere from 1-2.5 carats is perfect. anything bigger than that gets a little out of hand. haha.





a good friend of mine just proposed and he bought his fiance this ring from Tiffany's.


http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/Item.aspx?GroupSKU=GRP10019#f+1/1001/2001/3001/0/2001


it's pretty traditional and classically beautiful.





congratulations in advance and good luck with the proposal! :)





oh, and white gold is the best, i think. that's what mine is too. very pretty. :)





oh, and p.s. i have about the same size fingers as she does and that's the size that looks good one me. just fyi. :)|||I am about a size 6 and for me anything over 1 to 1.25 carat in a diamond starts looking gaudy and would make someone question if it is real. A size 8 is not that much bigger than my size so I'd recommend not going over 1.5 carats in the center stone of the ring. A ring with side stones can definitely go over 2 or 3 carats in total and look perfectly fine so long as the largest stone isn't crazy-big.





14 karat white gold is pretty typical for jewelry.|||Wow, that is a big diamond. I am assuming you mean 14k white gold? That is very nice, and a diamond of 1 carat is perfect, anything bigger is overdone or is going to look fake!!! Go to www.brilliance.com, they have been my favorite place to look at ANY custom jewelry for a long time, they have engagement rings( very nice ones! ) where you chose every aspect down to the diamond of choice and its extrememly affordable!! And very reputable, my mother bought her diamond studs there about five years ago and they are gorgeous!


Hope that Helps!|||14 karat diamond would be as big as your head. I think the 14 is the gold weight. which is a good carat.weight for gold.


As for diamond size, I would, personally, never go larger than 1 carat. After that it looks REALLY gaudy to me. But that's a personal thing. each woman is different. Have her try some on, or wait til you get those jewelry fliers in the mail and sneakily ask her what she likes.





Oh and for gold weight. stick to 10 or 14k for engagement and wedding bands. The higher the number, the softer the gold and the more easily damaged and scratched. This is something she'll wear forever. so make it strong.|||14? are you crazy??


lol, hope she stays out of the water because that baby is gonna sink!





honestly though, we could only afford a 1ctw, and it turned out to be an amazing ring. If you have the money by all means get one larger. Probably 3-4... I wouldn't go above 5 or 6, then you start to get monsterous.





I can't imagine your income if your looking at a 14....have you looked up the price of that? I think you maybe confused with gold consistancy vs diamond weight











edit: glad to hear she has no man hands rofl


yes I would probably go with a 5/8- 2ctw


I have a marquis, that and pear shaped are great because you appear to get a larger diamond regardless of weight because they have a larger "table" or visible size, also you can accent a small diamond with surrounding it with smaller diamonds which is often cheaper and also very appealing to the eye. I had that done with mine and it turned out fantastically!|||If you can afford anything, I would say a 2ct. cushion cut, tiffany legacy for 32,100.00 dollars and I would go with platinum so you aren't having to get it redipped. This is a really stunning setting.





http://www.ajediam.com/Sizes-of-Diamonds鈥?/a>





a 2.0 ct cushion cut measurements are 7.5x7.5mm


2.5ct cushion cut is 8x8mm


3ct cushion cut is 8.3x8.3mm


5.0ct cushion cut is 9.5x9.5mm





A credit card width is approximately 1mm





I also have to second http://www.brilliance.com and also


http://www.bluenile.com





I also have a size 8 finger and did try on a 1.5ct diamond and it was not at all too gaudy. I opted for a .89ct E VVS2 Emerald (rectangle shape) with dimensions of 6.77mmx5.02mmx2.97mm.





I have an understated taste and if money was no option I would choose a pave set platinum 2ct asscher (also 7.5x7.5) that is colorless (D-E-F) and in the VVS clarity range





A 1.5ct is 6.5mmx6.5mm and is a great choice as well





Most engagements rings fall into a 2000-4000 price range. This is what the average American spends. Considering this, you may want to go for a 6-12,000 dollar range. If you go with good quality, which you should, the bigger the stone the more rare.





If you are opting for gold, I prefer a lower karat weight (10K, 14K better than 18K or 22K), this will make the ring stronger and it won't bend as easily.





examples from bluenile:


cushion cut 2.03ct cost: 21,800


LD01252441


color F, VS1, v.good cut, ex. polish, v.good symmetry


7.88x6.87x4.46





asscher cut 1.51ct cost 10,805


LD0103756


color F, VS2, v.good cut, v.good symmetry, v.good polish


6.69x6.58x4.21





asscher cut 2.02ct cost 22,373


LD01326622


color E, VS1, v.good cut, v.good sym/v.good pol


7.15x6.84x4.66





It is very hard for many women to imagine what it would be like if money were no object|||I think a 3 carat ring would be perfect. Not too gaudy but not too small. That would be very very expensive. I wouldn't want a ring from Tiffany's anyways, too much of the money goes toward the name rather than the quality and size of the diamond.|||it depends on the size of the hand. i have small hands, and my fiance got me something just slightly over 1ct. i perosnally think its perfect, but if money was no object and i could get whatever i wanted, i would never go over 2. it would just be way too big for my hand|||Its depends on personal choices. If you like it and your fianc茅e likes it then that becomes the best choice. If you take my choice, as per your description I think a 2 to 3 ct diamond would look awesome.

















B2CJewels.com


http://www.b2cjewels.com/|||I have that style of ring in white gold. I have very small hands, and my 3/4 carat is the perfect size for my small hands ( and I mean small, i wear child sized gloves lol)|||How tall is she %26amp; how much does she weigh, or about what dress size does she wear?





There's more to the equation than just her ring size.|||Me personally, I think anything over 1.5 carat is gaudy. It's just too big. 14k is good for the band. Still gold, but not as soft as 18 or 24k.|||Anything larger than 1.5 ct starts to look flashy and too much like costume jewelry|||I think 18 or 22 ct gold is better than 14. I'm not sure tho. for a size 8 ring, that's sort of a big finger cause that's 3 sizes bigger than mine...so I would say 2 ct diamond at least. I wouldn't wear anything more than 1ct myself because my fingers are skinny. so for a bigger hand, a slightly bigger stone.|||14 ct. diamond is too big. 5 ct. is humble and still beautiful. I think it's also the traditional size to get. Did you mean 14 karat white gold?

No comments:

Post a Comment